Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Sandwich
Comfort flavors of a spicy buffalo chicken sandwich vegan style.
- large mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- measuring spoons
- 1 head cauliflower* cut in ½ inch steaks
- 1 cup buffalo sauce separated
- 1.5 teaspoon garlic powder separated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 3 tbsp water
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup sparkling water
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Optional Toppings lettuce tomato, onion, avocado, vegan ranch
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare cauliflower by destemming and cutting it into ½ inch steaks (from top to bottom).
- Combine ½ cup buffalo sauce, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, chili powder and olive oil in a bowl.
- Dip each steak in the sauce and allow excess to drip off. Place on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks. Baste with leftover sauce and cook in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you prepare the batter.
- Combine flax meal and 3 tablespoon water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup buffalo sauce, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, flour, sparkling water and flax mix to a bowl.
- Place a new sheet of parchment paper on the baking sheet. Dip each steak in the batter and allow excess to drip off. Place steaks on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the steaks. Cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy.** Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- For serving, toast the buns and layer with cauliflower steaks, lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and vegan ranch.
This recipe can be made non-vegan by replacing the flax mix with 2 eggs and replacing the vegan ranch with regular ranch.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!